.

.
.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

For Whom the Bell Tolls- Quotes

There were a couple of my favorite quotes from Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls...


"Why do you speak in English?" Pablo asked.
"I don't know," Robert Jordan said. "When I get very tired sometimes I speak english. Or when I get very disgusted. Or baffled, say. when I get highly baffled I just talk English to hear the sound of it. It's a reassuring noise. You ought to try it sometime."
"What do you say, Ingles?" Pilar said. "It sounds very interesting but I do not undersand."
"Nothing," Robert Jordan said. "I said 'nothing' in English."
"Well then, talk Spanish, " Pilar said, "It's shorter and simpler in Spanish."



"Let me finish, you mule," Pilar said to him. "He teaches Spanish to Americans. North Americans."
"Can they not speak Spanish?" Fernando asked. "South Americans can." (16.171-2

No comments: