.

.
.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Every now and again sometimes...

...I get lost on the wind of a dream
The air gets clean and the seas get wide
and I can do anything" -Anything by Mae

A lot of things have gone undocumented in the last 2 weeks. I guess I have to be ok with that.

I’ve been meaning to post some of my favorite quotes. Maybe another day.

When you have to put “Enjoy My Day” on your to do list, something might be wrong.

So a couple weeks ago we had a bonfire on the beach. It was the first time I’ve been on the beach late at night down here. I usually try to be in bed. It was lovely though. The next day we went back out there, and the ashes from our fire were still there, a reminder of the activity the day before. It made me realize every object has someone’s memories attached to it, and I began to glance around and try to see what objects would call to mind images, songs, and conversations for others. As a result of the fire I have been motivated to learn the chords on piano (and possibly guitar, ack!) of some of my favorite songs so that I can contribute musically to group activities. We’ll see.

Yesterday we got 15 pounds of Mangos for 5 dollars. That was amazing.

We found a black widow in our house. I, of course, didn’t know it was a black widow, until several people reacted very violently to the idea that I was carrying Mr. Eats-People-For-A-Living around in a plastic container and showing it to people. Innocent mistake!

This week I have seen 4 dead mice and one dead Chicken. We are unaware of the cause of death for the chicken...no blood, no guts, no coconuts… and 2 of the mice (although I suspect rat poison.) I DO know the other two mice were whacked by brooms. I’m not sure if we are imitating the movies, or if the movies are imitating real life. But there certainly is a correlation.

I found clothes that I had lost this week. Except that, I didn’t know any of the things were missing. It might be because we’re drying our laundry on the line to use our money more wisely, and then things float away. (You can imagine the electricity and gas for 25 people’s laundry) I’ve been doing laundry more often than I used to. I think I’m enjoying hanging it on the line, or maybe just the excuse to be alone, or maybe the sunshine. And it dries so stinking fast! But as soon as I have enough for one load, I’m on it. Plus, I love the novelty of having 6 or 7 clotheslines (some short for Mexican women, some tall for whoever).

Last week Joanne and Steve went to Tijuana/Ensenada with some of the kids to do 3 doctors appts. 1 for Steve, 2 for my daughter C— so I had 9 of the kids for 36 hours. Another Joanne came to help me both days, and Jazmin (one of the ladies that cooks/cleans for us) cooked lunch. I was fully prepared to cook a really complicated dinner, but the kids just wanted nachos and cheese. We also made our own popcorn, on the stove! What a learning experience. I learned how to effectively take out the trash, as well as the right way to toss it into the trailer so that none of it leaks out onto your head.

Two days ago, Jacob and I took some of his siblings, my kids, and other kids to the beach. We had a blast, and I finally braved the ocean water b/c there were DOLPHINS hanging out. I didn’t quite make it out to them, but put in a good effort. The kids rode bikes to and from the beach, and I tried to help one of them that was having difficulty, but then it ate my skirt. 4 times. Luckily I had my bathing suit on. I rode it standing up, instead of sitting down on the seat. I’ll post a picture later ☺ (of the dolphins, not of me awkwardly riding a bike). At one point we ran down the beach chasing the dolphins, and Marina was “videotaping” them, but she got so excited in her pursuit that she filmed the ground, camera bobbing as she ran, with her loud shouting narrating what we could see. "Look, it's right there, right there, a dolphin, near the shore, no 4 dolphins, look, they're jumping, right there, do you see it?"

"The pain it won't even cross my mind
There's wonder in everything"

(that water was stinking COLD. I asked if I could have gotten hypothermia. But was told I wouldn't die.)

anyways. that's it for today.

No comments: