.

.
.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

it's happened- my life, you know.

Sometimes, I feel like my life hasn’t happened if I haven’t written it down.

Maybe I’ve been bloging for so long, that I’m incapable of going without it. I know it’s bad marketing to give people more than they can easily and enjoyably read, but if you really love me, or you have nothing to do, here’s the book from the last ten days of my life.

The other night one of my daughters and I went out on the trampoline to lay under the moon and stars and listen to music. Since we couldn’t find the moon it wasn’t magical enough to stay out there. Plus people wanted to jump. A half hour later, guess what appeared!!! the moon ☺ It came out beautifully orange and shiney.

I was so exhausted and grouchy the other day, that I tried jogging. It was great. That’s gonna become a habit again.

So. I haven’t been around the last few days. Went to

San Diego
San Diego on Wednesday to drop a friend off up there, and ended up spending 19 hours away from home. I had anticipated getting good yogurt, but there was strawberry and peach. The same fat free kinds we have in MEXICO. Apparently, most Wal-Marts in California don’t have grocery selections. I keep forgetting that. I had a mini temper tantrum before I realized we could go to another grocery store. Next door was a discount grocery store, and I got one of my favorite cheeses for 99 cents!!! (instead of 5 dollars.)

While at the store in SD my friend needed help picking out bike tires to buy. She stopped the salesman to ask for help, but he said “I don’t speak English.” So she said, “I speak Spanish.” While he helped her, I was floored that we were in a big store, that had hired someone that didn’t speak English. I was jealous that it wasn’t like that back home, and I (falsely***) said “Nobody speaks Spanish in my town except the immigrants.” Let me interpret that for you…What I meant was that I would love to speak Spanish in my hometown with an employee that directly works with customers. It would encourage people to either study a language, or help them realize that globalization really affects their community.

***There are children who have grown up in my community that speak Spanish and are not immigrants, there are people that have studied Spanish as a second language that live in my community as well. Dur.


On the way to San Diego we learned that gallino (rooster) is slang for man/boyfriend, and two of us quickly lied about what jobs our “gallinos” have, since the solider at the military checkpoint asked us about them. Unfortunately Ang didn’t, and she got asked out. But she bowed out of it gracefully.
Danielle made a good point about not being scared of Mexican military men (as some people are) She said, “He’s a young boy looking for a girlfriend that just happens to have a machine gun.”

There is a big campaign here to not waste water. At the military checkpoint, there was a dirty van, that someone had written “Yes, I take care of the water!” in the dust on their window. It was humorous b/c they used the slogan from the campaign.

Driving around SD we saw some skater boys.
“His pants came down!”
“What is he doing? He’s taking off his pants right there!”
Then we discovered he had shorts on underneath them! Shoo.

Overheard in the store: an old man talked to an employee that was cleaning…
Him-“You look tired.”
Her-“Thanks” (she was proud that she was doing her job well and smiled.)
Him- “I didn’t mean it as a compliment.”


On the way back home we drove down the coast. My first drive to VG was down the coast. I remember seeing only a few lights in the distance and wondering why it was so dark between us and the lights. I assumed it was farmland/uninhabited. On our drive Wednesday, I realized that beautiful dark patch before Ensenada is the sea, not land. I would have been much more nervous my first drive with all the curves and the tiny guardrail had I known that.

We have a psychologist who specializes in child abuse that will be visiting with us this week, giving us some workshops, and also getting to know our children. I hope it’s profitable. I think it really could be. She probably has some great advice.

ok. more tomorrow that I have already written, but just not edited.

No comments: