.

.
.

Friday, January 11, 2008

It's snowing!!!

update on Steve: The doc is 85% sure it's not cancer (from a blood test), but they are doing a biopsy on Tuesday. The tumor is more intertwined with the muscle and nerves than we initially thought so instead of a quick surgery, it will have to be done in a hospital and instead of local anesthetic, he will have to go under general anesthetic.
thanks for praying.

It rained again this week. It's hard to be thankful for something that makes your life so miserable, but I know we need it. It was very foggy and the rain was that light misty rain that spits on you slightly while you're surrounded by it. Some of the kids were running around in it saying, "It's snowing, It's snowing!!!!!" Unfortunately they were mistaken. Hopefully some day they'll get to play in snow.

My life here is so wrapped up in food, Pozole, Tamales, Enchiladas "Chihuahua" style...
I really like Pozole, which is hominy with stuff added. I add chopped cabbage, lime and cilantro.
Why didn't I know about Pozole when I was back home?

While some of the girls were still here visiting for Christmas, we took the time to make California Rolls. The goal was to make enough to feed 22 of us as a main meal, but we realized that was not a manageable goal. At least we all got a couple pieces, and I got to check "make sushi someday" off my to do list. (and imagine, I did it in Mexico of all places?!?!)

We have two visitors from Israel here for the next ten days. They minister to people who have lost family members to terrorism immediately after attacks, as well as help with Arab/Israeli reconciliation. I can't even imagine what that's like. They have various speaking engagements around the area while they are here. So tonite we are having a shabbot meal....with TAMALES.

Funny kid stuff:
I was helping a first grader with his homework, and he drew a q more like an a, without the tail.
So I said, "Don't forget the tail!"
and he said, "Do I have to draw a tail? I don't like tails."

I was helping a 14 year old with her homework yesterday, and wanted to quickly check my email (we had already done more than we were supposed to, and her mom was running late picking her up.) but my internet wouldn't load.
So I said, "I wonder what's wrong with my computer."
and she said, "It thinks you're supposed to be helping me."

The girls finished their latest round of work (I'm so proud of them!), and INEA hasn't gotten their new books to us yet...so I told them to do something to make themselves smarter during our school hours today, but I don't know how keen they are to take that initiative. :) They'd much rather have a break!

I have some cute pictures and video to share when I have a moment free. we'll see.

No comments: