.

.
.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

This is a no drooling zone!

Things have gotten a little rockier with attitudes here. I think/know the honeymoon is over. One of my girls is very controlling, so I have to be sure to not fall into any of her traps. I don’t know that she realizes she does it, but I bet it was how she was raised.

An uncle and aunt visited one of my girls on the 15th. She didn’t want to talk to them, but they had a letter authorizing their visit, so what do you do?? Luckily they only stayed for 25 minutes. They asked how she was behaving and when they found out how great she is here they recounted everything she used to do wrong. :(

I now have another woman helping me with my girls! (well, people already help me by taking them to church or picking them up from school and things) BUT she is dedicated to spending time with them on my days off, and now I should have M-W afternoons off as well. This will be important b/c I haven’t had time to do a lot of things, like email ya’ll (and make sure all my friends/family are reading this blog) and I’ll have more time to build relationships with the others that serve and live here.

Speaking of friends…
I had my first chance to socialize with people without keeping some sort of eye on my girls last Monday night. I wanted to scream and shout and dance for joy the whole time, and to compound my joy, the 8 of us played DDR ☺. Even though it was just an hour I was pumped the whole next day. Yes I’ve had days off, but I usually spend them by myself, or if I’m hanging out I usually stay home and play board games with Johanne or other adults. I enjoy playing board games but the kids are never far away ☺

We had frozen crepes donated to us, so I made crepes with lemon juice and sugar on them. I had to buy the lemon juice at Costco in Ensenada, b/c they don’t really sell too many lemons here. My girls LOVE bitter, spicey food so I thought they’d like these. Surprise. They didn’t! Their argument was they don’t eat bitter stuff for breakfast. They ended up finished their food by putting a thin layer of mango yogurt on their crepes, which they DID enjoy.

I’ve ridden on a bike here more in the last few weeks than I have in 8 or 9 years. I really enjoy it, except on Thursday when I took a short cut through darker colored dirt than I should have, and it turned out to be very wet, deep, clay. :/ It engulfed my shoes as I stepped off my stuck bike, luckily I was wearing gym shoes, and not flip flops.

Steve does have cancer. :( Him and Johanne have been busy with all the extra doctors appointments, and it's definitely stressing out the kids.

Sunday we went to La Bufadora (it's a spot in the ocean where water squirts out of the rocks) for Tani's birthday. She is their daughter and works down here. She turned 25. It was a really fun day, but super long with the 2ish hour drive on either end. I'm proud to say no one drooled on my on the way up or back. It was also a really spur of the moment trip! I'm getting used to the way people do things in Mexico.

Rich was getting his car worked on down here, and so last week I went with him and Jason and we ended up having fish tacos! (yummy) and then we went to this little store and bought 10 popsicles for 20 cents. Unfortunately the lady selling them was confused about the price. She knew how much one cost (2 cents) but it took us explaining to her how to count up or do 2x10 to know how much to charge us. We gave her the money and she looked at it like it was too much! She also asked us to pray for her headache. I think people around here assume you're a Christian if you're an English speaker, but maybe she just knew us.

(sorry for the long wait, we didn't have internet all weekend until Tuesday, so on my days off, not only was I busy, but I couldn't have gotten on anyways.)

Happy Wednesday!

edit: Steve is having surgery Friday.

No comments: