.

.
.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Creatures that I live with:

And no, I’m not talking about the 6 teenagers. ☺

At the Unger’s house they have a tarantula. While I was sweeping the other day I found a dead cricket, so I threw it in the cage.
(btw, summer schooling 7 children, and having a two year old in the home... I don’t know how ANYONE does it. Right now I’m really enjoying how they are different than my girls, I haven’t heard them say “I’m bored” yet, the grass is always greener on the other side, but I know that long term I’d much rather be with my teenagers. The little ones won’t be a billion times smarter when their mom comes home, but at least they’ll still be in the routine of doing school)

We have a lot of crickets right now, although I don’t know that they are crickets. These look like crickets but with wings. Maybe they are locusts? I don’t really know. I think they are scary.

The horse in the field next to us has a baby horse. I tried to feed them carrots, but the adult kept taking them from me. I pushed it away so the baby would have a chance, but it would just lick the carrot. Maybe it’s not ready for hard foods yet, or just scared of the unknown.

The ants.
God bless the ants.
We always have a few explorer ants in our house. I kill one a day in the kitchen, and a few a day in my room. The moment we leave food out they attack, by telling all their friends. I ate some cereal in my room Sunday, and knew this was a problem. So I LICKED the bag out, in order that there would be no crumbs for them to find. I meant to throw the bag in the trash can too, but somehow I left it on my bed. When I came back to my room, 2 hours later, somehow I had missed 1 crumb, and there were like 40 ants on it. I killed them all with my bare hands. I felt like a meenie. (this ant saga continues...I could write paragraphs about it. Recently there were billions in my kitchen, but the only things they had discovered were the creamer and clean dishes. I've ran out of ant spray, and have tried lysol, as well as killing them with my bare hands.)

If I were to have kids, I would want them to be aware of all the truth and beauty in the world. I think it's a full moon tomorrow night.

I've been really nostalgic this week about my own idyllic childhood. When I was young I had no idea where life would take me. I see them boogie boarding in the ocean and sigh.

Books I’m enjoying: Sophie's World - about the history of philosophy "Life is both sad and solemn. We are let into a wonderful world, we meet one another here, greet each other- and wander together for a brief moment. Then we lose each other and disappear as suddenly and unreasonably as we arrived." Breaking OUT of Beginner's Spanish by Keenan- it has really helped me understand real life usage and the "shades" of certain words.

(Cande is turning my office chair back and forth right now, and making me dizzy!- while I type. When she sits next to me, she talks the whole time. She's asking me all sorts of questions about what I'm typing, but if I took the time to explain to her, I wouldn't get anything done! I'm giving her gum to see if she stops talking. One of her questions: "Why is my name there???")

One of the products in my bathroom is distributed from Ohio! That gave me a little smile the other day. Also, I was reading to the kids this week, and there was the same book we read about the Underground Railroad in my elementary school. So I found all the pages that mentioned Ohio. :)

I have become that Mom that gives gifts to change children. One of my girls turned 19 this week, M, and I gave her a REALLY cute purse (that she probably won't like- she prefers bookbags) and clear lip gloss (she doesn't enjoy putting on makeup.) Oh man. I'd realized what I had done after I'd wrapped it. oh well. This same child smelled after showing the other day, I asked if she'd put on deodorant, and she had, but then I went to her bathroom to check "what kind" she is using (really to see if she owns deodorant) and it was all the way gone, but she was still wiping the plastic against her skin apparently. I reminded her that if she needs things, she has to tell me, and gave her a new deodorant. I'm not sure why they don't tell me when they need stuff.

Somedays, they are mature, and somedays they aren't. I've realized that I can't judge them, or rather that I shouldn't judge them, as I'm a human too. Somedays, I'm mature, and somedays I'm not. I don't know what's in their heart/motives. I only can see their actions.


Act Justly, Walk Humbly and Love Mercy
:)


(oh! Please keep praying for Steve (not mine, the other one) They are going to put him on medicine to unblock his heart, and monitor that for the next couple weeks. Apparently that's the least invasive, and his heart had made a new pathway anyways. But now they have found a lump in his prostate. So that's a little bit scary.)

and Cande starting speech therapy with a lady that volunteers in our organization. She came home and said "my mouth hurts!" It was really cute.

No comments: