.

.
.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Can I have some tortillas??

We called the police.

A couple months ago, one of the kids was outside and saw this pickup (which in Spanish is pickup) parking at our neighbors and loading stuff into his truck.
She thought it was strange, but I don’t think anything was done about it because we don’t know them.
About a month ago the people that live in that house stopped by and told us they had been robbed. They don’t live there all the time, and the police had a suspect in mind, and would we call the police if we saw something suspicious again, and take down license plates and such.
My children became vigilantes, with paper and pen they would sit outside waiting for their chance to execute justice on evildoers. And I trusted them.
A week later my kids come running in the kitchen yelling, they’re robbing that house, someone’s there robbing it.
I said “Did you see what car is there? Did you write down the license plate number?”
They said, “but the robber is there NOW!”
So I gave them my phone to call the police.
Oh boy.
They were prompt, a police truck came by with THE OWNER.
My first thought was, wow, the owner is going to get to confront these people face to face.
But then I felt sheepish, suddenly realizing the trespasser was THE OWNER. And there wasn’t a burglar there.
My blushing cheeks spit out some incoherent Spanish that meant “well, at least you know we are serious about keeping an eye on the property for you”
I think the worst part was when I had to admit letting my children call the police, as the police accused the kids of ¨prank calling” them. YES! An adult thought this all through.
I don’t ever want to see those neighbors again.

My two kids who are learning Spanish b/c they came from a home that spoke an indigenous language say…”contugo” instead of “contigo” and called pancakes, tortillas. Them: Can I have some of those ”tortillas” you’re making??
Me: No, but you can have some “panqueques.”

I bought some peaches last week. 25 since we have 23 people living in our household.
Luis did the favor of counting them for me after a few children had enjoyed their peach.
32! I was like, hm. I didn’t even buy 32 peaches, maybe you should count them again. 22 this time. He said “There were 32 here a minute ago.” And acted like he hadn’t even made a mistake. Then he started telling me about James and the Giant peach. I said, “oh, did you like that book?” and he was all confused and said, “book?” and proudly informed me that “it’s a MOVIE. A really good movie. Have you seen it?”
We really grew up in two different worlds.

Quick Spanish lesson for my readers:
Pickup truck = /pik` up/
Sink= /siŋk’/

That new girl is already gone. Luckily she has a family that wants the best for her, unlike our other children.

I have a phone interview with a company that does interpretation/translation. We'll see. We went back an hour today, so now I'm an hour different than California, until next weekend when the U.S. falls back. Leave it to me to schedule a flight on a time change day. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

No comments: