.

.
.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Candy? Chips? Pop? Ice Cream?

What did you buy as junk food when you were a kid and you could spend your own money??
Candy? Chips? Pop? Ice cream?

Well, my kids buy popcicles, chips with salsa dumped all over them (not chunky salsa, liquid-y salsa) AND more popular than pop…….TOP RAMEN NOODLES. In Mexico, they sell bowls or packets of it in every store for 20 or 30 cents. Often we have dinner and the kids say, “Can I eat the sopa maruchan that I bought instead of dinner?” When I first got here I asked my kids what they liked to eat so I’d know what to cook for them. They told me sopa maruchan, which at the time I didn’t know was Ramen noodles. So I asked them how to make sopa maruchan, and this is what they said.
1. Boil water.
2. Put in the noodles.
3. Put in the spices.

I said, “which noodles do you use?”
And they said, “sopa maruchan noodles.” –
“but, which kind is that, like seashells? Like macaroni? Like spagetti?”
“you know, the ones in the plastic package!”
(well that really narrowed it down, I thought.)

still lost I tried the spices….
“which kind of spices do I put in? oregano? Garlic? Rosemary? Tomato sauce? White sauce? Butter?”
“it’s like powder.”
“well, I don’t know which one that is.”
“it’s easy to do, I’ll show you next time we have it how to make it. Everybody can make it, Even L--- (8 yrs.) ”

Imagine my embarrassment when I realized they were talking about Ramen noodles.


This week I took a couple kids out for ice cream. When we got there they did not however, order ice cream. They ordered Churroslocos and Tostilocos. Both are different styles of chips that you add various things to…Chamoy- a surgery liquid salsa made of almost pure #2 red dye, cucumber pieces, peanuts, corn chips, spicey chewy stuff- like gum, another chewy thing that I think is pork rinds, and tomato/clam juice. GROSS!! Those are my more “mexican kids.” My other child got Rocky Road.

No comments: