.

.
.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

they say I'm walking on freedom...

My kids were daring each other to drink jalapeno juice straight up, so cute!

Other Bilingual things:
"Do you like that mark?"- (Do you like that brand? "marca" is the Spanish word for brand)

"She's resting, can I tell her you called?" -(one of my really bilingual kids answered the phone yesterday. It was my day off, which is literally "rest, resting" in Spanish. really, I wasn't even home, but I only had the ability to not be home because it was my day off. so what she really meant was that I wasn't around, even though she didn't say it that way)

"I have tos/gripe" - (I have cough, I have flu)

I wasn't at home most of the day yesterday, which was nice (day off), b/c today is also my day off, but the girls keep finding me and talking to me. I guess they love me! Plus random people stop by our house to visit or ask for things. I read in my bathing suit yesterday (at a friends-they have a walled garden), which I feel uncomfortable doing at our house because anybody in the fields around could see me, and because random people stop by (other missionaries, mexican pastors, people that need food) our house ALL of the time, and would definitely be scandalized. and the kids start conversations that focus on skin color, which I find highly problematic and disturbing. "But you're whiter than me, I'm the whitest one, etc." (I know I'm judging since I have the exact opposite conversation all the time "you're tanner than me, I'm the most tan, etc.") It's just not normal to even see a woman in shorts/bathing suit in Mexico unless you're at the beach or in the pool. (Or unless you're watching "family" TV. gross. If I stay in Mexico I don't think I ever want a TV)

The office season finale was the only episode of the office that I saw on TV this year (and with friends). All the rest I watched on the internet, and by myself. It was great to laugh with people. (and discuss it during the commercials)

I finished Evangelical is not Enough yesterday. It was good. I can't wait to type up some of the interesting quotes.

Did I tell you that we took Johanne out to Chinese for mother's day. It was my first Chinese food since November, and so I didn't care what it tasted like!

Books that I hope to start soon:
Wanderings: Chaim Potok's History of the Jews
Living Judaism: The Complete Guide to Jewish Belief, Tradition, and Practice by Dosick
Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok
The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze by Saroyan
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Letters to my Son by Kent Nerburn
Sophie's World
Reading the Bible Again for the First time
the 2/3 of the Bible that i haven't read recently.

tell me if you want to see me, May 28-June 6th and we'll try to work something out.
<3

No comments: