.

.
.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Vacay.

so I'm on a little vacation right now, and so far it's been more than eventful.

the ride up was bliss, took a different route than usual and went through Tecate.

Got spoiled by some grandparents, saw The King and I.

Borrowed Irresistible Revolution by Claiborne from the Grandpa.

Flew from San Diego to Seattle.

Became really confused about the whole sun setting thing.
really confused.
In Mexico it's been setting at 6:30.
as we were flying north, really north, like ridiculously north, I thought, that's funny the sun hasn't set yet, it feels like we've been in the plane forever.
then someone said it's 8:40, we're almost to Seattle.
It still didn't dawn on me yet that the earth tilts, until two other things happened, then it was like big light bulb! oh, it's summer time, and we're in the northern hemisphere, so the sun sets later.
sometimes I feel like because I live in Mexico I should get more sun than, say, cold, rainy, snowy places like Seattle ;)
even though this wasn't what I expected I'm not gonna complain!
Mandy and I have spent a lot of time in the sun the last couple days, that has been such a blessing.

I also got to go into work with her and chill in the flower shop, my idea of a good time :)

Her housemates have 3 chickens, 2 cats, and 1 dog, so not too much different than my home in Mexico.

*** But last night I thought I was going to be stuck in the coop. ***


We were moving the chickens from outside to inside and I stepped inside the coop and the door shut behind me! Luckily there is a release for the latch on the inside, but I didn't notice that until I had a moment of panic.
I love going to church with Mandy, partly because she's one of my spiritual sisters, and partly for the nostalgia of how our friendship started out. After church there was Applebees, which was also dripped of nostalgia.


interlude
__________________________________________
I think incarnate is the buzzword for our generation. I've been reading books related to religious thought/practice and three of the authors have talked a lot about Jesus being incarnate. (lauren winner, claiborne, schmemann)
(and then in church yesterday they talked about Jesus being incarnate as well. Something I haven't really noticed before.)
The only thing is Schmemann wrote his book 40 years ago. The other two are recent writers. It also strikes me b/c he was an Eastern Orthodox priest, Winner is anglican/former Jew, and Claiborne is an ordinary radical (his own label).
that's just got me thinking recently that's all.



ok, done with that
_______________________________________________
Today we slept in. I didn't get out of bed till 9:30, but hadn't gone to bed till 1. I'm hoping all this staying up late and sleeping in, will condition me to be ready for my flight to the midwest tomorrow.
Although, it might be a hard transition once I'm back in Mexico.

We explored Pike Place Market, which is where the first Starbucks is.

CIMG1307

Bright colours at the market...
CIMG1316

It was a nice day. But I'm tired now.

and I really like having mountains AND sea. so nice.



so I realized that I haven't been tackling classical literature recently, and that I feel silly for thinking I am well read if for now I'm sticking to Memoir and "Religious" Non Fiction. (although in the fall I was reading current/best seller fiction) I haven't avoided it b/c I want to "learn" but I think because I want reading fiction to be relaxing, and I'm not sure how much I can relax when reading classical lit. or maybe it's too many scars from HS english. I mean, I didn't even finish LISTENING to that Jane Austen book that I got on cd in the fall. and that's a pretty lazy way to ingest media. (I'm tired, and this is why I'm blathering on and on and on and on....)but there are seasons in our life, and I did read more literature-y literature in college. sigh. maybe I shouldn't be disappointed in myself. blech.

here's a toast to being more balanced in my reading selections in the future!

They've fed me really well!
CIMG1291
CIMG1287

(yogurt, chocolate, hamburgers, PBJs, Applebees, Thai)

back to eating!
Happy Memorial day.

No comments: