.

.
.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

"I was never good at letting go


I'm lookin' forward to lookin' back
On this day"-otr



"In unexpected events let me not forget that all are sent by You. Teach me to act firmly & wisely without embittering & embarrassing others."

-This was a prayer that was on my twitter after a really bad day with my girls a few weeks ago. It’s a shame that I didn’t read it before all the drama happened. I now wish I would have taken a break from the drama and read my Bible, or escaped instead of just whining about it inside my head, and well...aloud to other adults.
It’s funny, I have one that thinks she can apologize, and it counts for other people’s poor behaviour, though she means well. She can’t endure conflict, even the healthy kind.

Another inconvenience that seems to be in Mexico, is things not where they should be. Like our electric box, that I walked a hundred meters to the other day, to flip the breaker, so that my house would have electricity. I vote that’s a bad place to have that. What if someone wanted to rob us, or cause confusion. All they’d have to do is shut off our power first!

Or parking…hehe. I once pulled into a lot in front of a bank without thinking about how I’d get out of the spot later. I was so embarrassed that I had to back my car into the only intersection with a light in our town to get out of the spot. Since then I have seen two other people do it, so I’m not the only one!

My family will enjoy this little story, esp. my dad. Sometimes I order the tacos at taco stands without tortillas b/c I love putting on as much cabbage as I can, and tortillas don't hold much cabbage. The women at the taco stands have a gift for cutting the cabbage finely, a trick I need to learn b/c it's soooo yummy. So I ordered a taco without tortillas, and the man looked at me funny. He asked, how do I cook it? and I said, like you'd cook one with tortillas, the same. The lady behind the counter repeated what I said to him, like his ears didn't work. So I wait, and he serves me this steak looking thing, lettuce and beans as little sides. Tacos de carne are made with really thin beef- grilled, or cut off a rotisserie, and then chopped up. So you can imagine my surprise when he served me a whole piece of meat. I said, "how am I going to eat this?" The lady found me a plastic spork, but I knew that wouldn't work out very gracefully. So I pushed my plate back over the counter and waited. The guy came back to me (mind you he's serving 10 people food) and said, "is something wrong with it? does it not taste good?" and I said "it needs cut up?" "Do you want to cut it?" he responded as he started to hand me the chopping knife that he uses on everyone's food. Styrofoam plate and the crowded counter within my vision, hm "no, would you cut it for me?" He happily scooped my meat off my plate back onto the grill, chopped it up, and slid it back on the plate. I had my meat cut for me, IN PUBLIC. I 'm sure that's a first in many many years.

No comments: