.

.
.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Can I make an egg for lunch??


This C---- story cracks me up. I went today to have a “family fun day” at the mission, translation, everybody come do odd jobs and clean the place up. I ended up painting most of the morning, and part of the afternoon. Most of the kids were at school, but C---- and M--- leave at 11:30 to go to the bus stop. Tia Janey was there, as well as Hermana Jasmin, but even with those two adults there, C--- ran all the way over to the mission to ask ME if she could cook eggs for lunch!!! I don’t know why she didn’t bother to just ask one of them ☺ but it was precious. I could hear her from around the corner saying my name in that special way that she talks that not many others seem to understand. So I shouted to one of the guys to point her in my direction (I was up a ladder, and not about to climb down). She came running in a hurry telling me what time it was (11:10) and if she could make an egg for lunch. It’s so nice to feel wanted.

Here's another C----- story. Some of the young adult women like to exercise, and they do it OFTEN. Several even trained for marathons. So C---- tells me, "I'm going running with them." This is a girl who NEVER exercises. EVER. I said, "really, you really want to go?" and inside it was such a turmoil thinking about how I could tell her no nicely, knowing she couldn't handle it. I figured they were running like 5 miles that day. Then Hope stepped in and said, "bring your bike." It was such a spectacle!!! Seeing her sitting tall on her bike, and keeping up with them I might add. They came home safe and sound, and she told me, "tomorrow, no bike, I'm running" well, she has yet to do that
:) and when her equally out of shape friend, M---- tries to get her to just run to the bus stop, or run home from the bus stop she throws a big stink. :) so M---- today was holding it over her head. "you want to go running with them, but you don't want to run home from school??" oh the drama.

Some things don't come as easy in Mexico.
On Sunday, I wanted some water to drink, so instead of turning on a faucet, I drove with big 5 gallon containers in the car. Filled them up. Took them back home. Then filled my glass.
I wonder how much more time Mexican's waste getting drinking water, or other people in countries with similar situations. Do they value water more than your average suburbanite American? I wonder.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

YES. We value drinking water. It breaks my heart to water plants (PLANTS!!) with purified drinking water. Such a waste.