.

.
.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In My Town...

...you can't go very fast because the roads aren't paved, and there are tons of pot holes! (that's why I LOVED driving to Ensenada. so many paved roads!!! and it's a treat to drive fast!)
...only the highway that goes all the way down the peninsula, and the road to the hospital are paved.
...dust cakes our back windshield so much I can't see out the back of it even though the car was washed a few days ago.
...the beach is a better road than the roads.
...atv's pass other "real" vehicles recklessly.


In my neighborhood...
...I've only had to stop at an intersection twice in 4 months.
...you usually wave when you pass another car. You probably know them.
...the best road has a man made speed bump on it, in case you do go too fast.

Other news,
I've now driven a diesel. not that that is important. but boy was starting it tricky!



Ensenada however, is much larger than where I live. MUCH.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We got lost for about 45 minutes in Ensenada on Monday, and even though we'd just been to an EYE DOCTOR appt to get V-- some glasses, I kept asking her- "What's that street sign say? Can you read it so I can keep my eyes on the road?" and she'd say "but I don't have glasses!" We did that 3 or 4 times.

What ended up helping us more than anything was a man at a gas station who allowed us to follow him, and then he wildly waved his arm out the window when we passed the street we wanted to be at.

Part of the directions I had been given were "two blocks after the McDonalds...." yeah, turns out Ensenada has two McDonalds on the main road, "Reforma."

My girls and I did stop at the McDonalds to eat, their request, and they were so tongue tied! Usually when we eat out, we eat at Taco stands. Some are proper buildings. Some are nothing more than bits of plywood nailed together. None have any flashy signs, shiny floors, or photos of the products they offer. Also there are two, or three choices. with 5 different toppings. It took us forever to order at McDonalds, and even then, the employee just asked them if they wanted this or that, and the girls said yes or no. I didn't eat there. I ate at a taco stand. :)

In McDonalds, C-- went to the bathroom. She came out panicked. I wasn't sure that I wanted to go in and see what the problem was, but it turned out she couldn't figure out how to turn the faucet on. haha.

(The other thing that shocked me about McDonalds, was the amount of plastic inside the restaurant. Everything seemed full of polyurethane or whatever that is. It just seemed so fake! Our taco stands, or other establishments, are more gritty, real, with rusty metal, concrete floors, wood walls, metal stools to sit on.)

((One of my girls is currently complaining that Dad isn't listening to her, but she keeps asking him a question WHILE HE IS ON THE PHONE. of course he's not going to listen to you, you're being rude.))

We had 4 appts in Ensenada on Monday. We only waited in a waiting room for one of them, and I noticed that every person that came into the office, greeted everyone by making sweeping eye contact and saying "Good Evening." How different than American culture.


Last week, I went to finally get my ankle x-rayed. It only cost $30, I waited like 2 minutes to go in, and I got my results maybe 5 minutes after the exam. (I don't have a broken ankle, but there might have been a little crack in it that has healed.) I love how you don't need an appt.

which leads me to the next thing...

One of our appts I'd made in Ensenada, I hadn't really made.
I'd accidentally called the office of the doctor who'd given us the referral and made another appt with him.
When we got to the office, the ladies were confused.
You called us?
I checked my cell phone, and realized I'd called the wrong doctor's office.
Nonetheless, the doctor still saw us, even though it looked like he wanted to head home.



I have a couple more things to share, tomorrow?

No comments: