.

.
.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I'm going outside to take it all in..."

soo much has happened in the last few weeks, and I’ve been too busy to blog.

The Quinceanera went fabulously. It was interesting doing the party at her school since she goes to a special school. There were blind kids, deaf kids, down syndrome kids, all kinds of special needs children. I got to boogie down, which is always enjoyable, but sometimes it looked like the children were having more fun than us! I had never been involved in a school party from a “parent” point of view, just from a teacher point of view, so that was new and interesting. Our other kids were great, they helped serve the food, set up the decorations, and helped out the kids that had trouble feeding themselves.

One of my girls, M, took it upon herself to walk around with a student her own age and quizzed him on all his colors and names of objects. She was very proud to feel like a teacher. I think it was a new experience for her.

I had the responsibility of helping my girls fill the piñata with candy for their “sister.” Apparently it’s a bad idea to make a slit and then tape it back up. It’s better to make a small round hole. It was my first time though, and fittingly, the first time the birthday girl struck the piñata, it broke open! Gah. So the teachers just dumped the candy out over top the kids heads. But maybe it’s safer that way????

In the last week, I’ve seen three piñatas broken. Definitely more than in my life time. My favorite was two men up on the rooftop moving the rope around so it was like the piñata was dive bombing the person trying to hit it.

More later. I didn’t get home last night till almost 12 from a road trip to Ensenada for some doctors appts for two of my kids, and the special groceries I bought at Wal-mart are littering my floor.
I haven’t been around the house in like 3 days (or at least, that’s how it feels.)

(oh, we went to the beach Sunday, it was like 88 degrees. ☺ One of the small perks of living here.)

Not everything is beachy here though. We had the offer to take in 2 new girls, but they ended up going to another family in our organization. Before I realized that, I told my girls they were going to live with us, and my girls were not happy about that. We had a little family meeting about their attitudes and discussed that other children need good homes too, and that we have 2 beds to offer. I understand the fear that might come from adding two strangers to your family, but my girls need to have compassion as well. You can pray that they would feel secure here, and able to be compassionate to who ever comes.

Johanne, the head house mom on our property, hurt her knee pretty bad on Sunday, so we've all had extra to do. I never realized how much time it takes out of your day just driving kids to school and back!



there's so much to take in right now... :)

No comments: