.

.
.

Friday, September 26, 2008

"Does anybody remember back when you were very young...

Did you ever think that you would be this blessed?" -Brand New, Guernica

So starting tonite at midnight (you are probably reading this tomorrow unless you’re a night owl) 10 of the family leave for the weeklong preparations of their daughter’s wedding. The mom here made all the bridesmaids dresses and the wedding dress and is eager to do whatever alterations are necessary, and there are probably 23944 other things to do as well. I am left here, ALONE. Except not really. I’ll have 14 others with me. 2 that are self sufficient, so really I’m only in “charge” of 12 children. I have different people helping me out as the week happens. Like Ben is taking all the kids to and from school for me. And Jose is “discipline” man, here. He already lives here and has 4 siblings that live here, so he’s well respected. His sister and one of my daughters is going to make us special meals a couple nights! He had the option to go to the wedding, but declined, and boy am I happy. Another girl plans on baking with the kids for school snacks, and just being around. There is something about the company of another adult that makes me so much more sane. I don’t know exactly what it is.
Other people are helping as well, I’m so thankful!

They won’t get back till Oct 6th so I’ll have my hands full till then. :)

One of my daughters, J, has a great command of the English language. She doesn’t know if she learned Spanish or English first as a child. But she still thinks she failed her English class exam, because she mixed up Ordinal/Cardinal numbers. Not necessarily fair, but it happens. Today we were talking about malls, and she said, oh, those places with a lot of stores and electric stairs. I would have NEVER thought about escalators as electric stairs. But it makes sense. Later, she was talking about Google, and she said “Goo-glay” which I thought was cute.

L, got his toothbrush all dirty leaving it in the car. I told him I wouldn’t buy him a new one, but that he has to clean it with boiling water and put alcohol on it. G, another little boy in the car said, “but if there’s alcohol on it, he can’t use it!” I clarified that it was cleaning alcohol. Hehe. This same little boy tried to shut the van door while his head was outside the van. It was so precious. He also talks the whole ride to school at 7:30 am. He IS me.

You haven’t truly gone running until you’ve done it with 5 children. 2 on bikes, 2 others that aren’t used to running, and one that is better than you!!

Yesterday, just three of us ran, and it was sweet, because we ran into sea fog. The temperature didn’t really drop, but I enjoyed running into something that I couldn’t see (our land is so flat you can see all the way to the sand dune of the beach, 1 mile?) Then on our way back we ran out of the fog into the sunshine. Glorious.

Another sweet thing, is the lightning in the mountains. It doesn’t rain here, but it rains there. You can’t hear the thunder, but the whole sky lights up, sigh. Beautiful. If I had a photo of it, I would show you, but I don’t. One night I just laid on the trampoline and enjoyed it.

I can’t get the tumbleweed out of my head. I thought of another metaphor for it…a small european car…

Almighty God, heavenly Father, who has blessed us with the JOY and CARE of children; Give us LIGHT AND STRENGTH so to train them, that they may love whatsoever things are true and pure and lovely and of good report, following the example of their Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: