.

.
.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

What's a good reason to have kids????

Jose has most of the kids right now, and it's GLORIOUS (singing as I type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I still can't leave b/c I've got two teenagers and a 12 year old (although I'm dying to go out for a run- and slightly jealous that they went to go see seals at the beach), but it's so quiet and no one is fighting and no one is saying my name a million BILLION times. One reason I've heard my name so much, is apparently when they have a problem with someone else, instead of solving it/handling it themselves, they immediately come to me. L-- is bugging them, instead of saying "L--, stop bugging me." They say, "Jen, he's bugging me." We're nipping that bud as we speak.

I honestly don't know how single parents do it. I see how much I need Jose here, and even more so, other adults to just be sane with. One of my friends spent the night Fri and Sat (leaving L-- to say, why can't so and so spend the night, if your friend is?, because there are already enough kids here, was my response) and just chatting about the day with someone normal is so healing. Or even another adult to back up the decisions you make, regarding how much food a child should eat, if they did their chores well, etc. Jose keeps making sure I'm "de acuerdo" (in agreement) with decisions he's making, and I really respect that. That's how two adults work together, eh?

This weekend, I've seen Annie Get Your Gun and Ella Enchanted. Annie Get Your Gun is HILARIOUS. I had no idea. I haven't read much of anything, as I can't concentrate when I keep hearing my name :)

This morning, Saul (friend of the family, pronounced Sah-OOL) came over to return Jose's car. I served them breakfast, probably selfishly, b/c I knew I would ask them to put the 10 gallon water garafon on the dispenser, and take out the trash and because their presence at home makes the kids respect me more. I know doing a thing out of true christian charity that you shouldn't expect anything back, but we have a specific household economy. It feels a little manipulative, or like I've fallen in a trap, fulfilling my role in the household to ensure that they do what I want them to do, but I'm surprisingly happy with it. The only thing is, after eating breakfast, Saul offered to do the dishes (wait! not your job, I'm so confused!!!) and I let him. I told him I'd tell all the ladies in the valley what a catch he is, if he needs recommendations. haha. (where did Feminist Jen go??? I think she ran away.)

Why do people have kids? I really don't know the RIGHT answer to this one. So that someone will love you and be affectionate to you? (I love how little kids always want to hold your hand and sit on your lap, etc.) So that you can teach them about all the things you love? dance, reading, music... So that you have a chance to mold a life exactly the way you want it? -(Psychology experiment anyone?) I know people have kids for selfish/unselfish reasons, or maybe even accidently, but what are the right reasons to have kids? Is it just an animalistic, "got mate, check, need to reproduce, check"...?

I'm going back out in the sun. edit: I'm going jogging, b/c Johanne is here baking school snacks.

other edit: Johanne and I had so much fun playing L--, age 10, in Trivial Pursuit, Genius Edition. He got the first question right, gah, stinkin' Atlantic Ocean. and the bet was if he wins, he could invite a friend over. But then he didn't win. shew. It was close.

P.S. (no little kids woke me up early this morning!!! yay!!! I came out of my bedroom on my own time. and I locked myself out of my room yesterday, but with a knife got in quick!!!! but then that begs the question how many other people could get in with a knife???)

No comments: