.

.
.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bell Peppers, Food, yummy-ness

One of the ways the little kids play is they read recipe books/magazines and then act like they are eating those foods by scooping their hands at the page and making eating noises. Except you know it’s pretend b/c nobody I know really eats that loud!

When we were at the grocery the other week I asked one of my older girls, M—, 19, to pick out the bell peppers we needed for the week. She walked a way, I heard her get a plastic bag to put them in (I was choosing tomatoes- the place we’ve been going they are really cheap, but you have to pull out only the good ones) and then she came back behind me and said, “what else can I do?” and I was like, “you didn’t get the peppers yet, do that and I’ll tell you another way to help.” And she said, “no. tell me something different.” I was shocked that she was being so disobedient in public. I started to explain to her that nobody gets to choose, we just do the things on the list in order, when she tapped me on the shoulder and motioned to whisper in my ear. I turned my head, and tilted it down because I was up on a pallet, and she whispered, “I can’t reach them.” I looked over at the peppers, and sure enough, she was too short. But what confused me about all this exchange is she was getting in trouble publicly, and yet corrected me privately. Is she ashamed of being short? Ashamed of correcting me? Who knows.

We had two little blessings yesterday. Johanne, head house mom, was discouraged about our food situation b/c we only bought the basics and not some nice extras that she had been thinking about, plus she's been trying to not eat any carbs/sugar. She has high blood sugar although thinks that through diet and exercise she won't have to take insulin. One of her sons had said he wanted pop tarts. Well, wouldn't you know it, like half an hour later some people came by to drop off a bunch of food. We had no idea they were coming and they brought boxes and boxes of sugar free things. Carmel syrup, Mapel syrup, Strawberry syrup, Chocolate syrup, cookies, peppermint patties, truffles, energy bars, and even organic off brand Pop tarts. so Pop tarts and sugar free treats! fabulous. God is so good to us.

No comments: