.

.
.

Monday, February 4, 2008

On roading/ Off roading...

...it's all the same when it rains.

I wish I would have counted how many days it's rained here because all this rain is so unusual.

We have clay everywhere, and the water doesn't soak in. It just sits on top of the ground.

We also only have 2 paved roads near by. The main hwy, and the road to the hospital.

So driving is treacherous, even if it's only rained for a couple hours.

It rained last weekend, and driving 4 blocks took like 15 minutes.

slippery and slidey....whew!

Not all the puddles were dried up yet from last weekend and it's raining again now.

The kids don't have school today b/c of some Mexican holiday, but even if it wouldn't have been canceled for the holiday it would have been canceled for the rain.

I have these great black rain boots here that Johanne is letting me use.

Even walking in them my feet still get suctioned into the clay, unable to move.
______________________________________

One of my girls, borrowed my boots last week.

She wore them to walk out to the swing set.

Then when she started swinging, she realized it'd be hard to do with boots on.

So she took them off.

She swung a while, and that included some breaks where she put her bare feet in the wet mud.

I needed to leave, and so I shouted to her to bring my boots back....

...so she sat on the swing and put them back on her

DIRTY, WET, MUDDY feet

to walk back to the house.




I love her.


_______________________________________
Making tortillas went great.

I think I would be able to get them mostly round with more practice.

A lot of mine turned out square. :)

If anything, it was easier to make them too thin, than not thick enough.





In Juana's kitchen.



The bowl of little balls.






Juana showing us the very pvc pipe rolling pin that she uses to defend her tortillas from hungry little mouths.



My first tortilla!



The finished product in a tortilla napkin/challah bread cover.

_________________________________________________

Mexico confuses me. Why after it rains is there no hot water??
You'd think the over abundance of water would cause it to come pouring out of the faucets.
I want to take a shower!
(and we need to wash all the muddy towels in our entry way)


*so I just tried our water every ten minutes until some came!
and that's the way to get a shower!

No comments: