.

.
.

Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Dead!!!

I'm finally receiving some of the benefits of living in a farming community that values animals and uses them for their God given talents.

The last few weeks, my girls and I had heard some scurrying, some noises, but not very often.

On two or three occasions the girls claimed to see a mouse.
I thought they were trying to wig me out.
Then Monday, I saw the mouse with my own eyes.

It was in MY room.

Apparently, parts of my wall, down at the edge of my carpet are missing.
I had not noticed this before, but it proved to be the escape route and possible entry way for said trespasser.
So I did what any girl would do...

I screamed for Rich, or Julia, or back up, or a broom.

(The whole time I'm standing there, imagining chasing the rodent out of my room with a broom, an idea implanted by all those cartoons I've seen.)

Rich offered a solution, one that seemed more immediate than putting mice poison in the walls.

"Slayer could spend the night with you. He's both affectionate and a killer. He'll sleep right in your arms unless he hears the mouse. He can take care of your problem for you"

I'm not really a fan of cats. but I acquiesced.

All night long I didn't sleep, and it was not because the cat hogged the bed.

On the contrary, I heard the cat pacing back and forth next to the wall, exploring my closet, as well as little scurrying noises and squeaking.

The next morning, Rich came over and asked for a body count. (Very appropriately because he interrupted while we were reading about gallows in Esther.)

There was no body count however because the mouse never left the wall, he knew what would happen to him if he was careless.

I gave the cat back to him, dismayed that our plan hadn't worked.

....

Later when the girls and I were doing school, the mouse showed up again. They stood on the sofa and the bench at the table and screamed like little girls.

I calmly RAN LIKE A CRAZY WOMAN out of the house to find the cat.

The mouse knew the cat was back in the house though, and didn't come out.

...

As we waited for the mouse to take one false step, I got on a cleaning spree.

I decided to move the couch and sweep underneath it.

My girls were all outside playing and so I recruited some help and we moved the couch.

The cat was watching us move the couch, and sure enough the mouse jolted out from it while the cat just pounced.

:) :) :)

I'm so grateful for this little wild cat.

No comments: