.

.
.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The sun already set!! woah!

I really appreciate when ya'll talk to my parents and ask them about me. Keep doing it! It's great.
I'll headline the next couple sections so you can chose what to read.


.about my trip to San Diego/my parents and brother/sister/Julia visit.


My parents and sister’s plane got delayed, so I had an empty hotel room to myself for one night!
While I waited for them to arrive I ran errands.
I hate to admit it, but I honestly LOVED going around Walmart and just being in a BIG GROCERY STORE!!!!!
I also went to the mall (where I fought in my mind over what kind of lifestyle I want to have after wandering into Banana Republic and drooling.)
I ran into an employee at the Apple Store who had "Love Is the Movement" written on his arms for Feb 13th. (I had "Love Amor" written on my arms in purple and green. Mom thought it was a tattoo!)
My parents finally came in the next morning…
We had planned to go whale watching but that day we drove around San Diego instead. It’s sooo big.
We saw some cousins I hadn't seen in like 10 years.
My friends Ben and Rich drove us into Mexico from San Diego after my parents spent one day in SD. 7 hours later (because we took some very enjoyable touristy stops) we arrived at my home!
There was a wedding the weekend my parents came, so they had the rare opportunity to meet almost everyone involved in the ministry here as well as see some Mexican wedding traditions.
We ate dinner on the beach and watched the sunset.
I learned so much about my parents that I didn’t know.


.Nature.


The sun sets really fast. There is a fourth of the sun left, then all of a sudden it disappears.

The eclipse was a nice birthday present. I remember the one that happened in August, how I stayed out all night to watch it, and Dad ended up joining me. I knew that the next time I’d see an eclipse I wouldn’t be at my parents home. Eclipses are a magical thing for me. They remind me that I’m not in control of my world.

I’m beginning to appreciate the sky more. There is/are less pollution/clouds here. During the day it’s so blue it looks fake. The only other times I’ve seen such a blue sky was when I was in the Atacama desert in Chile. At night, the sky is so black it’s past darkness, the blackness is creamy, rich and brightly shines back at you.

We found a lost baby seal on the beach Thursday after school. We tried to shoo it back into the water. We tried to go clamming, we got 4 ☺

Sunday we went out clamming again, but instead ended up climbing a sand dune and then checking out a tide pool and volcanic rocks that have tons of muscles. My girls took pride in finding neon green anemones, starfish, and crabs. We saw dolphins in the wild! And froze in the dark at the rocky seashore. I pretended I was in New England. (I also turned into my mother and made it educational. I was all, “what kind of rock is this? What was it before it was rock? Where does it come from?”)

As we looked at the darkness to the west of us we noticed a thin white line on the horizon. It was already an hour after nightfall but it seemed like the sun was still out there. Rich conjectured that it was plankton that glow in the dark.

Now that I’ve seen plenty of sunsets from the beach, I’d like to see them from the mountains, or go to the other side of this peninsula and see sunrise with the ocean to the east of us.

.Environmental Footprint.


Is it better to throw out/recycle a paper plate or to use the energy it takes to manufacture soap and make purified hot water to clean a plate?

There is a link to pictures in the last post if you want to see some of what's been going on. :)

No comments: