.

.
.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

a little potpourri

Things I enjoyed in the ol' USA that I miss in Mexico.

-The smell of warm rain, impending summer thundershowers.
-Asphalt to drive on!!!!!!!!!!! that was so fun!!!! (unfortunately I haven't gotten used to driving SLOW again)
-how beautifully green it was :)
-my friends and family

Something that scared the CRAP out of me in Mexico.

-driving in the rain, driving in heavy rain. I hadn't done that in more than 6 months and it was super scary.

a hard part of the flight back to San Diego was sitting next to a brother and sister. They were both grown ups (read: my age) and treated each other like my brother and I do. My favorite part of their conversation was when she was eating out of his bag of something, and he was like "don't take all the good ones. You get what you grab." hehe.

Yesterday I saw a regular Nissan truck with a cap on it FUUULLLLLL of dead chickens. very full. definitely not a sight I expected to see.

I do think translating/interpreting is in my future. as well as library work. I'm not sure how they go together, but I'm thinking.

I have 6 girls now, in case ya'll didn't know. And it's much crazier with 6, but still delightful. One of them is very clean and mature, and I'm hoping it rubs off on the other girls naturally. Some of them have weekly appts with the psychologist, but they are always trying to get out of it! I don't understand not wanting to accept help.

My "deaf" girl is improving improving improving in speech with her hearing aide! I'm excited to take her to get one for the other ear, now we just need to make an appt.

Since we don't have school this summer we are hoping to fill their time with enough good activities that they are not idle and "bored" (oh do I hate that word! I'm never bored! and cannot sympathize with people who are.) We have some service activities planned, and hopefully will be able to fill our time with fun stuff too. This will involve other people who are willing to work with us, and let us help them out. I don't want to be a hinderance, or a headache to them.

I have to make a new chore list to more evenly divide our work. that's something I DON'T want to do, but it is necessary.

time to get to work!

(oh, and if you want to keep your eyes and ears open for people that would want to work with me/us down here that would be great. The woman that cared for my kids on my time off has went back home, so I need another helper! or even someone to replace me when I eventually leave. thx.)

oh, P.S. and I'm really enjoying The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis.

edit: 11:35 am. soooooooooooooo.

we just had bible time. It was tough with 6 giggly girls. what an adventure. It took us like an hour and a half to do what should take half an hour they were so giggly.

One of my girls, J, just learned to read in the last year, but the two new girls we got are advanced readers. So now she's ashamed to read in front of them. sigh.

and it's also cool to be "emo" now. so I need to figure out how to handle it without making it a big deal.

Last but not least, the girls really enjoyed reading Ephesians 6. "Parents, don't provoke your children to anger." They told me, oh, listen up, this is for you! so helpful of them :) I think I did that when I was young also, so children are children where ever you are, eh?

No comments: