.

.
.

Friday, February 27, 2009

flat roads...

Maybe this post will continue my inability to understand others…
So C—tried to go to school with TWO hoodies on. At the same time. I know that layering is cool right now, but it’s warm here, too warm especially for someone that walks uphill to the bus stop. As I looked at her confused, she told me that tomorrow she is going to wear pink shorts to school. I decided to tell her she could only wear one, and she fought a little, but it was just to retain pride, not because she really thought she was right. What a teenager. She turns 16 on Saturday the 28th!

Our neighbor decided that our road was too pot-holey and so he decided to pay someone to tear up the road with a tiller (or something kind of fancy farm equipment) and then smooth it back out. Sometimes when I’m walking or biking I notice pipes laid fairly close to the road, different sections exposed, or even above the topsoil without shame. Some of these are no longer functional, broken into pieces and the permanently stuck plastic could rip holes in your tire (well, I’m exaggerating- hurt you if you step on them funny?? cause a bike accident?) and others just have little leaks in the middle of the road. I had always wondered how these pipes got broken and brought to the top. People dug up the road carelessly, and by carelessly I mean TOO DEEEP! So for three days now, we’ve have various men outside our house, and various construction/farm equipment being utilized to fix the two pipes broken in our neighbors eagerness to have civilized roads. (BTW, our road is now wonderfully flat and marvelous, but it was a pain to walk through- you sunk every step you took- before they tamped it down AND there is a definite level difference between the road and where we park our cars. It used to be perfectly smooth transition, now I feel like I’m 4 wheel adventure driving every time I pull in and out. But with time little dirt ramps will form.) I think my favorite part of this whole situation was when I found out our water pipe TO OUR HOUSE was broken and I asked who we were going to call to get it fixed. "We don't call anyone, we fix it." I don’t know why he broke up the pipes, but I also don’t know why he leveled the road so early on, I think it might rain again before “winter” is over. It certainly smelled like rain yesterday. Although it feels like summer already hit, which is when we get NO RAIN. This past weekend it was hot and gorgeous here, even though I wasn’t home to experience it, but more on that when I have time to write.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

This is what you produce when you DON'T have time to write? Good for you, Jen, good for you.