.

.
.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How we view ourselves at any given moment may have very little to do with who we really are.

IT SHALL BE RESOLVED THAT...

I’ve decided to avoid talking about dieting/healthy eating and other sub topics with women. I noticed that we use it (or I use it) as a tool(crutch) for connecting with others. There are so many other things we can connect with about! God, Children, Books, Hopes, Fears, Failings, Accomplishments…things close to our heart, not things we use to distance people. This is me boycotting my own attempts at superficiality. Plus the little girls imitate our talk and thus acquire our guilt. “I shouldn’t be eating this, but calories don’t count with friends.” I don’t know about you, but I don’t like hearing 11 year olds talking like us (quite unnecessarily) I’m not saying you shouldn’t privately support a friend who is eating healthy, or exercising, but that it shouldn’t be an all-encompassing thing, maybe like sports is to some groups of men?


FUNNY? FUNNY? FUNNY?

On Sunday, while I was trying to get some reading (day off) snuggled up in my warm bed, C—knocks at my door. I begrudgingly got out of bed to see what she wanted, imagining that it was not urgent, and that i should ignore it. She said “Church is in half an hour, are you going?” and I said, “yes”, surprised that it was a timely matter and then she said, “I’m not”, teased me with a childish finger gesture and ran up the stairs. As she ran off laughing, I realized that I probably should trust my instinct more often. She might have thought I wasn't even home had I ignored her.




QUOTEY QUOTEY QUOTEY
Quote from The Jesus I Never Knew
“The miracles he did perform…give me a glimpse of what the world was meant to be and instill hope that one day God will right its wrongs.”

Quotes from Posers, Fakers and Wannabes
Scarcity and broken relationships aren’t about God finding out what I’m made of—God knows what I’m made of- it’s the other way around. In or out of friendship, in scarcity or abundance or just enough, my life is about finding out what God is made of.

….a child to earn the affection of her parents does everything right, she be never whines or cries, never expresses a need, and learns to conceal her negative feelings.
This is the way of Pharisees. They follow the Law flawlessly in order to provoke god’s love. When necessary, they rewrite the Law to emphasize things they weren’t planning to do anyway: No Dancing Allowed; No Smoking; No Drinking. Or things they prefer: Commitment to Church Programs Equals Commitment to God; Voting (Write Your Political Affiliation Here) Is What Jesus Would Do. Their image of God locks them into a theology of working in exchange for approval from on high.

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUOTE
How we view ourselves at any given moment may have very little to do with who we really are.- Gerald May


(my funny favorite is... "rewrite the Law to emphasize things they weren't planning to do anyway" hehehe )

No comments: