.

.
.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

what type of mouse trap do YOU like?

Dead animals…and the consequences.

I’ve seen more dead things living here than ever in the U.S. I don’t mind it that much. When there is a dead mouse in the yard, I usually step over it. When there is a dead mouse in my house, I throw it away (but not without enough between the nerves in my fingertips and the dead mouse so that I don’t have to know I’m picking it up! )
Last night I screamed b/c I almost walked into a set of bones, maybe the bones of the lamb that died in the field next to us had gotten dragged out into the road. The vultures don’t bother me, it’s the local dogs eating at the bones that twists my stomach.

Last summer there was an odd smell in my room. I would smell it half the times I got clothes out of my closet. It wasn’t a very consistent smell, so I didn’t think I could do much about it. At one point I did take almost everything out of my closet to see if there was a dead mouse in there, but I found NOTHING.

A few days ago, I was cleaning my room when I decided to move my bookshelf (which consequently is near my closet) b/c I thought I’d dropped something behind it. You know what happened next.

Not just a dead mouse, but a full set of bones, nicely preserved and without flesh. It dawned on me! That’s why the ants kept going under my bookshelf, to eat the mouse. Yummy.

I had every intention of donating the skeleton to science (class) but I paid one of my daughters to clean my room for me (They always want money, and I don’t want to just give it to them) I came back in, ready to transport my one and only contribution to science (class) but it wasn’t there anymore! She had cleaned it up.

My most recent mouse story…A few weeks ago there was a funny noise in our house, almost like a zap? And the quick smell of an electrical fire, maybe. Then we noticed that 1/3 of the house didn’t have power. I told Steve, but left out the interesting parts, i.e. the noise and the smell. He told me to reset the fuse box, so I did, and nothing happened. In the end, he messed a lot with the wires, pulling them out of the wall and so forth…his conclusion was that something chewed a ground wire? Electrical wiring…more effective than a mouse trap!

(btw. I've never caught a mouse in a trap here. we have tried, oh have we tried.)

No comments: