.

.
.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

I want to ride my bicycle!



Last week I bought a bike on craigslist and took it to the bike trail! If I just go through some neighborhoods, and then pass the golf course, and then cross the train tracks I can get to the bike trail without endangering my life because I’m scared of riding on country roads. I also am not good at turning, because in Mexico I never really had to turn precisely. There were always these wide boulevards of dirt ready to conform to whatever turning radius I was comfortable with! The bike paths, and paths in the parks are pretty skinny compared to what I’m used to. So far, every time I turn I go in the grass. BUT (and this is a big development) and I can ride without my hands for short stretches, 4 houses in a row! All of this may sound ridiculous, but I’m working towards someday having my own motorcycle. Plus it’s nice exercise, biking relaxes me, and it’s a piece of continuity from Mexico, except I don’t have David telling me my bike tires are too low, and that I need to put air in them, and I doubt I’ll actually USE my bike to get anywhere unlike in Mexico. I’ll always have the same departure and destination, unless I head to the grocery! The biketrail is very serene, and seems like you’re in the middle of nowhere, until you hear the airplanes, and the trains, or come to spots where there are automobiles in the parking lots. One of the bike trails was originally a place in the woods that they’d cut out to place electrical lines on tall metal towers, like a monstrous lawn-mower left it’s mark for miles and miles. I’m glad they’ve found a green way to use that space now. I found a hidden farmer’s field I’d never known about. It has tall trees on every side of it. Next time, I’m taking my camera! I tried to get to a waterfall we used to play at as kids, it was also a significant spot in some of our adolescent moments. But I couldn't figure out how we used to get down there, and after seeing a bad case of poison ivy at the clinic the night before, wasn't very eager to traipse about the woods.

No comments: