.

.
.

Monday, July 6, 2009

More of what i've been doing. Foodie version.

I’ve been mostly eating straight from the fridge, and only cooked about 3 times, which is total deviation from the past year and a half. I made my sis fried rice, Mexican style, except that my mom only had instant rice in the cupboard. Instant rice doesn’t seem to follow the same rules as normal rice, so that was an adventure…Carrie still ate it, so that was important. She’s a VERY picky eater.
I made chipotle Spaghetti sauce, which people liked, an incredible compliment!!!
I scrambled an egg and mixed in some squash and sharp cheddar but I couldn’t eat it. I haven’t been able to eat many things here. I haven’t wanted to eat. I just want rice and beans and rice and beans and rice and beans and handmade tortillas. But I haven’t made time to cook, so maybe in the up coming week that will change. I’ve made of list of “Mexican” things that I’d like to make and a grocery list of staples that my house needs like onions, or garlic cloves (since I apparently can’t cook with minced Garlic- I burned it instead of sauteing it), and NORMAL rice. Who knew that a house could be full of “food” and I wouldn’t know what the heck to do with it.
Also, when I cooked the Spaghetti, I couldn’t find a frying pan! We have a smaller kitchen than the one in Mexico, less cupboard space, and less people putting things away willy-nilly. After ten minutes of emptying cupboards to see if the big frying pans were being stored (I had found a small one) and lots of frustration I decided I wasn’t even going to cook. Then I found them in one place I hadn’t looked, the frying pans were under the oven. After that I had to find the spatulas, which also weren’t in a place I’d normally look. Maybe I should reorganize my mom’s kitchen ;)
I have been out to eat a LOT. I’ve had Mexican at least 4 times ☺ People say, “you probably don’t want to eat Mexican food, you’re tired of it” and I say, “let’s go!”
I still have not had restaurant Thai, Sushi, Chinese and many other yummy things that I’ve missed (Amanda made a great stir fry, but she’s not Chinese, so that doesn’t count) I had this idea in my head that I’d be eating all this exotic food all the time, that you can’t really buy in Mexico. I have been eating COPIOUS amounts of my favorite yogurt and cereal, both of which you can’t buy in Mexico, so I guess that counts. ☺


No comments: