.

.
.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

assortment...


assortment is just another word for too lazy to write about any one thing.

Well- I did take V--- to see if another family had anything we wanted. They were having a garage sell, but it was all free. She kept picking out stuff we didn’t REALLY need. But it’s the hardest to say No when it’s principally for other people. She wanted a boxing game for L---, and a really used Camel water bottle for Dad, and the ab roller for Johnny, and beans for Mom and… well you get the idea.

I made French Toast, and everybody ate breakfast, unlike when I make Oatmeal. French Toast, while it seems harder than pancakes, is actually easier for me.

While out running errands today I stopped by a bakery with the intent to buy a treat. I did not since I wanted sugary, sugary crème filled bread, but all they had was sweet breads and seashell shaped bread, with sugar stamped on top. Also, a driver for the propane company passed me, and we live in a small enough town, and our family phones them enough that he waved and smiled. This could be related to me frantically calling them yesterday to fix the bad tank they gave us (my words). They came out once, but went to the wrong house. I phoned again an hour later wanting to cook very badly (gas stove) and they said no one was at our house! So I re-explained how to get out there and they came. Turns out, our hose that connects to the propane tank developed a leak in it over night. So not their tank’s fault, but our fault. Oops.

I like it when the kids tell each other things we tell them. I heard one of them (V---) telling L--- he needed to love his enemies, and that he doesn’t love them b/c he does this and this and this. She listed his faults very scientifically.

One of my kids chose not to go to school last Tuesday, nor this Tuesday. (I couldn’t force her, I suppose that’s always the day her typewriting hmk is due) After her friends came back from school on Tuesday, they said that only 10 (of 30) kids showed up and so her teacher went home and they combined their class with the other class. I asked why so many would skip, and (according to my kids) it’s because that many kids don’t have a typewriter and couldn’t do the homework, so instead of coming without the homework and just failing out of that class, they skip the whole day. They want them to use old fashioned typewriters, not electric ones, nor computers. I can’t even understand it. I had one teacher explain to me that computers are different than typewriters b/c you get immediate feedback when you use a compu, and you can continually be looking at your results. I remember learning the immediate feedback helps learners self correct more often, and make them more successful at the task. I’m trying not to have a chip on my shoulder about this. (I also would not allow my kid to do something just b/c every other family allowed their kid to do it- i.e. skip school)

We have a new lady helping in our house a lot. She’s bilingual, and yet there are things she looks at me funny about. Apparently my kids shorten all the words, compu (computadora) , refri (refrigeradora), bici (bicicleta)…so consider this a warning, I may come back from Mexico talking all wrong.

10 days and I’ll be home…

2 comments:

dfdasfsd said...

YAY!!!

Anonymous said...

"I might come back from MX 'talking all wrong.'"

It's not just the Spanish my dear.