.

.
.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Convos.


Thursday morning convo:
V- We’ve had oatmeal 3 times in a row exits back door
Me- excuse me?
V- re-enters, heard Me through door We’ve had oatmeal 1 time in a row
Me-that’s not what you said the first time
V- yes it is!
Me- we had Oatmeal on Monday, Doughnuts on Tuesday, French Toast on Wednesday, and now we’re having Oatmeal again
V- that’s what I said, 1 time in a row.
Me-I guess my ears are broken

Almost regular conversation upon entering the car
E- Do you know how to drive?
M-Do you know where to go?
E- Can you even drive on the highway?

(This however is understandable, b/c many people {and my perception is that more men drive than women} don’t drive in our part of Mexico, and even some who have cars only drive the dirt roads and not the main highway. I may drive everyday, but probably only once or twice a week on the paved road)

Convo with Boy who DROVE to my house to sell veggies
Boy- Do you want to buy a box of tomatoes?
Me- How much?
Boy- $10
Me- ok. Are you or your brother going to carry it in….wait? How old are you?
Boy- I’m 12, He’s 8.

(This made me sad. There is school here, you can go in the morning, or in the afternoon, the big cost is the uniform pieces. People ask if there is child labor here. I doubt there is much that the gov’t knows about, sure some farms do illegal things, but there is much more child labor in the oldest staying home to tend to the other siblings/housework while Mom/Dad goes to work.)

and last but not least, the Mexican idiom for having a wedgie is "the donkey wanted to eat grass"

No comments: