.

.
.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Super-Women, Super-Noise, Super-Skipping


It’s been a couple of hectic days so I haven’t written. Monday and Tuesday my little girls didn’t have school b/c their teacher was sick and they don’t get subs here, or maybe they would get a sub but there aren’t any?? I don’t know. It seems like they don’t though. I try not to get frustrated about school for them. The two little girls have been with us for almost a year, and now can sometimes talk in full English sentences! We haven’t formally taught them anything besides, “I’m Steve Manzano’s daughter.” Or “You’re pretty.”- That’s a nice one to tease them into saying ☺ Immersion really works! But I’m worried they are going to grow up without a full knowledge of Spanish as there is so much vocabulary that we don’t use in our house.
The other reason it’s been nuts is that Tuesday, two of my children decided to skip school. They got up, were wearing their uniforms, and then went back to bed hoping I wouldn’t notice, and they lied to one of their classmates saying that I told them they could stay home. It caused a lot of drama, and it was really difficult for me to sympathize b/c I can’t remember ever having feelings of not wanting to go to school. Their only reason was that they were going to get recess taken away for not having something done, and that they hadn’t slept the night before. Getting recess taken away is no reason to skip school, especially for teenagers. They are in 7th grade and both are 15. It seems like when one teenager gets a bad attitude it infects the whole house, but I think we’re better now.
The kids were using the internet 24/7 on Sunday and Monday, and so I prayed that it would stop working, and it did! I think they’ve figured out how to get unlimited log-in time, so I was glad for the intervention. BUT the whole time it wasn’t working they whined a lot at us, and I told them, if they knew how to fix it they were welcome to fix it. They thought we disconnected some cable on purpose, but I assured them I hadn’t. While they didn’t have internet, some of the girls in my house put the music on in both rooms upstairs, two different cds, AND played guitar at the same time. It was like SUPER noise pollution, or maybe they were having a top secret meeting and they wanted to be sure that I didn’t hear any of it. ;) I heard from a reliable source that used to live up on the hill where everyone has smaller lots, and half built houses that you often can hear 2 or 3 different radios playing at once. Plus I can imagine that you can hear the loudspeakers from parties and things REALLY well, b/c we hear it down here a couple times a week.

When the internet started working again, you should have heard the shouts of joy in this house.
Today is peaceful so far, and I anticipate that it will only continue this way. Tia Janey was supposed to come over today and cook a lunch and dinner, but she wasn't feeling well. Instead of having time to worry, somebody dropped by bread for us, surprise! So lunchmeat for lunch it is. Can you eat lunchmeat for dinner? hehe.

She is still coming to do dinner :) yay! Any woman who can cook us two meals a day is a super woman.

No comments: